Material recommended for information only and not as medical advice.
- Veganism Saved My Life by Jasmin Singer in February 2012 issue of VegNews
A short article on the impact of a plant based diet in five persons lives.
- The Prevention Prescription My presentation to the San Francisco Vegetarian Society in November 2011 is instructional. Watch the Video. You can view the cited references for The Prevention Prescription here (.pdf).
- The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall
- The China Study — Startling implications for diet, weight loss and long-term health by T. Colin Campbell. I recommend reading The China Study for persons interesting in improving their health. It introduces you to the importance of your diet in avoiding most of the important chronic diseases that cost us in terms of suffering and finances.
- Carnism: The Psychology of Eating Meat by Melanie Joy
- Animals Should be Off the Menu by Phillip Wollen
I recommend the following books for most of my patients who are interested in information about specific conditions:
- Reversing and Preventing Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn MD
- Breaking the Food Seduction by Neal Barnard
- Calorie Density – Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longerby Jeff Novick RD (available through JeffNovick.com)
- Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes by Neal Barnard MD
- A New Approach to Nutrition for Diabetes Neal Barnard MD (available through PCRM.org)
- The Lupus Recovery Diet by Jill Harrington
- Building Bone Vitality by Amy Lanou & Michael Castleman.
Diet and Nutrition
The resources I routinely hand out to persons interested in learning more about getting started on a plant based diet:
- Vegetarian Starter Kit & Nutrition for Kids (.pdf) Available for free download on Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s website.
- PCRM’S 21-Day Kickstart Program Sign up at 21DayKickstart.org.
Available January, March and September.
Are you still buying food with labels and need an easy system to sort through the confusion and misinformation?
Worried about getting enough of the right type of protein? The best articles relating to that question are two articles written by Dr. John McDougall and published in his monthly newsletter:
- A Brief History of Protein December 2003 Newsletter
- Where do I get my Protein? April 2007 Newsletter
- Protein Overload January 2004 Newsletter
Have you been on a plant-based diet for some time and still can’t lose the excess fat? I recommend reading another article by Dr. John McDougall:
- The Fat Vegan December 2008 Newsletter
- Dr. John McDougall has over thirty years of experience in the effects of proper diet on health and disease. His website is a terrific source for those who want to avoid medications, medical procedures, and doctors visits. Since 2002 his monthly newsletters have covered most topics on nutrition and medical treatments. His “StarMcDougallers” provide examples of what is possible by eating the correct diet. His website link: www.DrMcdougall.com
- Dr. Michael Greger has been reviewing all peer reviewed scientific studies on human nutrition for over 10 years. His website contains over 1400 short videos providing science based guidance on what we should eat. He posts a new video every day of the week. Below each video he lists the full reference and is linked to the abstract or article if free. Going to Browse all topics will provide the answers to most of your questions. If not he encourages people to write in with questions. His website link is: www.NutritionFacts.org
- The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a non-profit organization that promotes preventive medicine through nutrition, conducts clinical research, and encourages higher standards for ethics and effectiveness in research. PCRM is a great resource for individuals wanting to transition to a plant based diet and have specific programs for patients with type 2 Diabetes. PCRM ‘s sister organization, The Cancer Project, has specific resources and programs for patients with cancer. Those websites are www.PCRM.org and www.CancerProject.org.