- The Prevention Prescription My presentation to the San Francisco Vegetarian Society in November 2011 is instructional. Watch the Video. You can view the cited references for The Prevention Prescription here (.pdf).
- The Starch Solution Dr. McDougall’s presentation is available for free viewing at DrMcDougall.com.
- The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall and Mary McDougall. Dr. McDougall is the clinician with the most experience at reversing and preventing chronic disease. This book is an excellent practical guide to how we should eat with the last half of the book consisting of recipes provided by Mary McDougall.
- The China Study — Startling implications for diet, weight loss and long-term health by T. Colin Campbell. I recommend reading The China Study for persons interesting in improving their health. It introduces you to the importance of your diet in avoiding most of the important chronic diseases that cost us in terms of suffering and finances.
- The Pleasure Trap by Douglas Lisle and Alan Goldhamer. An excellent overview of the psychological issues associated with achieving health.
- The Pleasure Trap A video presentation by Douglas Lisle, Ph.D..
I recommend the following books for most of my patients who are interested in information about specific conditions:
- Reversing and Preventing Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn MD
- The Lupus Recovery Diet by Jill Harrington
- The Cancer Survivors Guide by Neal Barnard MD and Jennifer Reilly RD. Book for purchase or free download (.pdf) at PCRM.org.
Dementia including Alzheimer’s:
- Power Foods for the Brain by Neal Barnard
- Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes by Neal Barnard MD
- Simple Care of Diabetes (December 2009 Newsletter) by Dr. McDougall
High Blood Pressure:
- How I treat Patients with Elevated Blood Pressure (November 2009 Newsletter) by Dr. McDougall
- Diet and Kidney Disease (July 2007 Newsletter) by Dr. McDougall
- Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker
Obesity and Weight Loss:
- How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind Doug Lisle PhD
- Calorie Density – Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer by Jeff Novick RD (available through JeffNovick.com)
- Have you been on a plant-based diet for some time and still can’t lose the excess fat? The Fat Vegan (December 2008 Newsletter) by Dr. McDougall
- Building Bone Vitality by Amy Lanou & Michael Castleman.
- The Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book by Reed Mangels PhD, R.D.
- Pregnancy and Children presentation by Dr. John McDougall
Still Not Feeling Healthy:
- Have you been on a plant-based diet for some time and are still not feeling well? As you work with your health care professional you might benefit from reading The Sick Vegan (October 2002 Newsletter) by Dr. John McDougall
- Many conditions that present to health care professionals don’t lend themselves to a diagnosis even after appropriate examination and testing. Many conditions even when diagnosed are difficult to treat or require treatments that cause side effects. As you work with your health care professional you might benefit from reading Dr. McDougall’s article Diet for the Desperate (December 2002 Newsletter) and then discuss his recommended approaches with your health care provider(s).
Diet and Nutrition
The best path to health (e.g. avoiding disability, minimizing drugs and procedures) is a proper Whole Food plant based diet with adequate Vitamin B-12 intake. The resources I routinely recommend to persons interested in getting started on a plant based diet are two pamphlets available for free download on Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s website:
Also free from PCRM is their PCRM’S 21-Day Kickstart Program. This free web-based program is available the first of each month at http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/kickstart/kickstart-programs. Choose from programs available in variety of languages and tailored for specific cultures (i.e. English, Spanish, Mandarin, Indian and Japanese).
If you want to understand the details concerning adequate Vitamin B-12 intake see the February 2012 series of video’s on NutritionFacts.org. Begin with the February 3rd video, Vitamin B12 Recommendation Change, and use next video link to view the next three videos concerning the safest, cheapest and daily sources of Vitamin B12.
Are you still buying food with labels and need an easy system to sort through the confusion and misinformation?
Worried about getting enough of the right type of protein? The best articles relating to that question are three articles written by Dr. John McDougall and published in his monthly newsletter:
- A Brief History of Protein December 2003 Newsletter
- Where do I get my Protein? April 2007 Newsletter
- Protein Overload January 2004 Newsletter
Are you having trouble getting certain foods such as meat, sugar or dairy out of your diet? A good book is Neal Barnard’s book,
- Breaking the Food Seduction by Neal Barnard
- A book devoted to the effect of dairy on health is Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow’s Milk and Your Health by Joseph Keon and John Robbins
- Carnism: The Psychology of Eating Meat by Melanie Joy
- Animals Should be Off the Menu by Phillip Wollen
- Richard Oppenlander: Sustainability and Food Cholce McDougall Advanced Study Weekend February 2013
- Dr. John McDougall has over thirty years of experience in the effects of proper diet on health and disease. His website is a terrific source for those who want to avoid medications, medical procedures, and doctors visits. Since 2002 his monthly newsletters have covered most topics on nutrition and medical treatments. His “StarMcDougallers” provide examples of what is possible by eating the correct diet. His website link: www.DrMcdougall.com
- Dr. Michael Greger has been reviewing all peer reviewed scientific studies on human nutrition for over 10 years. His website contains over 1600 short videos providing science based guidance on what we should eat. He posts a new video three days each week. Below each video he lists the full reference and is linked to the abstract or article if free. Going to Browse all topics will provide the answers to most of your questions. If not he encourages people to write in with questions. His website link is: www.NutritionFacts.org